Monday, January 28, 2008

To Be a Lover of Music.

(This is from Monday 1/28, it just never posted...)




Sitting in the curb cafe as I type this, my ears are gulping down with eagerness the sounds of my friend Brandon's acoustic guitar and crisp, clear voice blending through the air. I can hardly type. Everything in me wants to stop and sit in midst of such beautiful sound.

But I just had a conversation with a friend about such music and felt like I should write while my wheels are turning. Okay, wait, I am going to stop til this song is over...

So I was talking to a friend about how just recently our passion for music, our drive to play or sing music has come back after being dormant for a couple years. And... well, here goes:

To be a lover, a true lover of music is to feel sound through your veins. To know the beauty of every note's intricacy. To be a lover is to be moved physically, internally, mentally, until nothing else invades you except the sound of chord progressions, harmonies, crescendos and decrescendos.

As I'm displaying these thoughts my friends right next to me are clapping, jumping up and down and shouting in response to Robert Kelly singing a song in Swahili on stage.

Oh how this makes me smile. :)

There have been a few incidences where my friend and I felt like maybe we should do something else with our lives...but deep down, we know we could never leave it.

That passion can be covered up by some things, but it fights its way out again the minute those strings are strummed or that voice rings out.

Because when you love music, the sound doesn't just go through your ears. It penetrates even your finger tips and flows through sugar in your bloodstream.

Lover of music, don't grow unfaithful.

No comments: