Sunday, April 10, 2011

Words.

Before officially beginning this post, I just want to say THANK. THE LORD.
The first 85˚F day of the year!!!
Sigh. I felt like this day would never come. :)
I just cleared off & plugged in my fan, which has been doubling as a hat rack all winter long. They will probably end up back on there tomorrow, but tomorrow doesn't matter just yet...

Okay, moving on!


Tonight I watched the recent version of "Karate Kid" for the first time and it unexpectedly tied in with what I hoped to blog about tonight!

So, we all know this song:





And... we all know this song:





Let me preface that I realize this can be taken sensitively from my brothers and sisters. But also, I'm assuming the point that I am going to make only goes so far. So here it is:

How are songs like this not written by/for the "Christian Industry"?

"I never thought I could feel this power.
I never thought that I could feel this free.
I'm strong enough to climb the highest tower.
And I'm fast enough to run across the sea."


Why have we failed to be this confident?

"Do you know that there's still a chance for you
Cause there's a spark in you

You just gotta ignite the light
And let it shine
Just own the night
Like the Fourth of July

Cause baby you're a firework
Come on show 'em what you're worth
Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh!"
As you shoot across the sky"


Have we forgotten how powerful our words are?

"I gotta be the best, and yes
We're the flyest.
Like David and Goliath,
I conquered the giant.
So now I got the world in my hand,
I was born from two stars
So the moon's where I land.

I will never say never! (I will fight)
I will fight till forever! (make it right)
Whenever you knock me down,
I will not stay on the ground.
Pick it up,(x3)
Pick it up, up, up,
And never say never."



There is so much power in those songs, it is no wonder Katy Perry and Justin Bieber are so established and successful.
I feel like, more often than not, we mistake weakness for humility.
We get so spoiled by the facets of grace and unconditional love that we forget excellence and discipline.
It seems easier to work by the power and might of our own emotions rather than by His Spirit. (Zech. 4:6)
So what do our songs pour forth, but a spirit that sounds like a hurting, helpless victim and not an untouchable warrior?

I don't mean to bash so hard, I promise I am scolding myself more than anyone else here.
It's just that my struggle is with the fact that we seek the God of creativity.
The God of invention; of music and sound!
The God of language and influence.
The God of ability, potential, and will power.
Shouldn't we be tapping into this boundless resource a LOT more?


I hate how much I have lived like I am defeated. I have literally given up things I used to love and slowly struggle to re-train myself in hopes of being excellent at something for a change.

I was made uniquely and to fulfill a unique purpose on this earth.
It's time to start living like it.

No comments: