Monday, May 02, 2011

May 1st.

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.


Again a big surprise at the subject that is overflowing every news outlet and social media network: Osama bin Laden is dead. Wow, ten years in the making. I feel strange at being relieved. I am glad to feel that much safer, yet it is sad that another life has left the earth. As MLK Jr.'s quote sums up, an eye for an eye doesn't satisfy. Justice isn't mine to give. I am not the one to repay. In my ideal mind, I would rejoice at a changed life. If only bin Laden turned from his ways...

As relieved as our country feels, I pray for the families of our troops and the troops themselves. I don't want them to be surprised by the probability that US forces won't pull back and come home right away. Who knows what lies ahead.

The biggest realization hit me last night as I watched President Obama announce bin Laden's death: what timing! First of all, Obama is probably thrilled considering the decline in his popularity since coming into office plus the coming election in 2012 not too far off. Secondly, we're at our financial peak. Maybe (I don't actually know how this works) our nation will finally be able to relax military spending even to a small degree... that's probably a really hopeful thought, but a girl can hope! Lastly, I just thought this was cute. A friend posted this on her Facebook status today: "Once upon a time, the commoner girl marries the prince and the the bad guy dies. And they all lived happily ever after." In one weekend, a fairy tale became real life!

Anyway, this has certainly raised spirits, hopefully it will raise our economy back to life too.
Lord have mercy on us.

No comments: