Friday, May 04, 2012

Recalling All Christians.

This post is dedicated to the community of believers I have been surrounded by my entire life: those who grew up in the church, live in a Christian nation, carry the affiliation of "Christian," live in Christian community and continue that journey to this day.

There was a point in John Wesley's life when he thought he should stop preaching because he was only beginning to understand the true nature of Christianity. Thankfully, a Moravian told him, "preach faith until you have it, then because you have it you will preach it."
(http://www.enterhisrest.org/history/bio_john_wesley.pdf)


What is about to be written has been bombarding my mind lately and I need to start preaching about it until it becomes real in my own life.

What am I doing with Christianity?

I am writing this post because I find myself constantly playing this game of tug-o-war where the life in my comfort zone and familiarity is on one side while the vision of something entirely new and uncomfortable pulls on the other. Lately, the tension from both sides is building and pulling stronger and stronger, back and forth.

Honestly, it is so painful to even write this post right now. I know it holds me accountable.

"I will go, I will go, I will go, Lord, send me..."

"I surrender all..."

"I throw my life upon all that You are 'cause I know You gave it all for me..."

"There is nothing else that's of worth to me... You are all that I want. You're all I need."

"Wonderful Saviour, my heart belongs to Thee..."

"I wanna sit at Your feet, drink from the cup in Your hand..."

"Praise to the King of kings, You are my everything and I will adore You..."

"All of You is more than enough for all of me, for every thirst and every need..."

"I trust in You..."

"May the vision of You be the death of me..."

"Yeah, I want everyone to know, everyone to know, I wanna tell the world about Your love."

I don't know how long it's been since you committed your life to Christ, but I've been singing songs like these for over 20 years.

Now that I'm six weeks away from achieving my Master's Degree, I'm beginning to feel like I've ticked off every box of major life expectations that are within my control (Ph.D.'s are optional and marriage requires a committed man... jobs partially depend on the employer). I've done everything my parents have asked of or encouraged me to do.

Cool. So... what now?

It's exhilarating and overwhelming to attempt to answer that question. The easiest answer would be, "Look for a job."

But I keep singing these songs, and reading these words from my Saviour & people like me who followed Him ages ago: 

"GO and make disciples of all nations..." (Matt. 28:19)

"Here am I. Send me!" (Isaiah 6:8)

"...before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." (Jer. 1:5)

"How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news... who proclaim salvation," (Is. 52:7)

"but we preach Christ crucified..." (1 Cor. 1:23)

"And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?" (Rom. 10:14)

"live a life worthy of the calling you have received." (Eph. 4:1)


I am constantly proclaiming these statements through song or claiming these commands as a part of my lifestyle and the TRUTH of my entire existence... what am I supposed to do now?

What are WE supposed to do with Christianity?

God doesn't make this a mystery. I constantly overcomplicate my life when, really, life's purpose is so simple: Accept the salvation of Christ's death and resurrection. Then, go; tell nations about what Jesus did. 


WHY IS THAT SO SCARY?!?!!?!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
I AM CONSTANTLY FREAKING OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


It seems frightening because all I've known (and gratefully receive) is an abundance of comfort in the blessings and inheritance that has already built my life up to this point. I don't want to keep going to all these countries I've never seen before! I don't want to keep missing my family like I do or keep missing out on the changes and events happening in my friends lives! I want to go home! I want to settle down! I want to get married and have a pay check in the mail and savings account building because of a job that I enjoy! When do I get to feel comfortable again?!

But my life isn't about me.
It's about the Kingdom that I call home.
It's about actually living out what I claim to believe.
It's about taking the seat that was set apart for me;
to rule and reign as a princess of the Most High God.

For some, that means being salt and light in your hometown, in an office, in your family and among your friends. While I still in my humanness hope that those scenarios can be a part of my journey again, even for  a little while, I know I wasn't made to stay in one place or go back forever. I just know it. 

For some, this calling sounds like, 
Go, make disciples in your office.
Make disciples of your family.
Tell your campus about the love of Jesus.
Go make disciples of your community.
Tell your country about what Jesus did, no matter how "Christian" the culture is.

What matters most is that we can answer this question–

What am I doing with Christianity?

–in a way that satisfies the calling God has placed on our lives– as individuals and as members of one body.



No comments: